Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Transformation Tuesday: Bathroom Decluttering

After last week's Weight Watcher's meeting, which demanded a commitment to declutter something, I decided to pursue my little, personal bathroom. Occasionally someone else will use the toilet in this bathroom when the main bathroom is occupied, but otherwise it's all mine. Therefore, I had no one else to blame for the cluttered state it was in. It's very tiny, but I still managed to get a lot of stuff in there over time, thanks to a plastic drawer set and a medicine cabinet we put in.

I had actually already decluttered under the sink recently, thanks to a leaky pipe, so that was done. But I needed to get serious about the set of drawers, which I believe I've owned for nearly 15 years and has not ever been cleared out.

First I tackled the top, which functions as a small counter, and the top drawer. I kept my makeup on top, and a small jewelry box, and whatever random toiletries I was using at the time. Here you get a peek at the top drawer as well.

Before: "Counter" and top drawer

My makeup case (yes, it's a Caboodles) was very disorganized and had makeup in it that is probably considered a biohazard at this point. I tossed most of the makeup that was on the bottom of that case, which you can't see in the picture. The black thing there is a Curl Secret, which is new and not cheap and kept falling off its precarious perch. That is part of what motivated me to undertake this project. I'd be pissed if I broke it because it fell. 

The top drawer was very full too. I kept all kinds of stuff in there, so it was part junk drawer but also part storage for products I didn't need yet. Also, books, random printouts for quick bathroom reading, etc. 

And here is the result! Here's the top. It may not look less cluttered but nothing is stacked on anything else anymore. Plus that book is pretty to look at, and funny!


 After: Top of counter 
(You can see by the Nyquil that I was still getting over my recent awful sinus infection.)



After: Top drawer! 

Now the top drawer is mostly just storage for products I will need and a few books. Don't ask about the ointment please. You can't handle it. It's nice to be able to see at a glance if I need to purchase more toothpaste or whatever. 

Next, I cleared out the second and third drawers. In the second drawer I kept all my electronic hair gadgets. I know I had at least one straightening iron that didn't even work anymore, so part of the decluttering process was plugging in every last gadget to see if it would turn on. Once I identified the offender I got rid of it once and for all. 

Here is my second drawer before and after. It used to contain all the electronic hair gadgets...

Second Drawer Before


But now it only contains a hair dryer and the Curl Secret. I use one of those each day, so it's nice to be able to grab what I need quickly and to know they're safe.






Second Drawer After


And then there was my big, secret shame: The bottom drawer. I found so many headbands in there, all my failed past attempts to do something interesting with my hair. There was old jewelry from ex-boyfriends, and those little butterfly clips that people wore all over their heads 15 years ago. There were goggles you wore when you use a tanning bed. I used a tanning bed approximately three times before my wedding 12 years ago, so I don't know why I was still holding onto them. It was just a big, jumbled mess of stuff I didn't know what to do with. 


 
Third Drawer Before

So I cleared that drawer out, tossing probably half of the stuff in there and giving away most of the rest to my daughters, who will look adorable even in a dated fashion accessory. I don't really have an after picture of the 3rd drawer, but it basically holds the rest of the electronic gadgets that used to be in the 2nd drawer.

Then I tackled the medicine cabinet. This was mostly just reorganizing, taking things out of boxes so they would take up less space, etc. Well worth it!



 Medicine Cabinet Before 




Medicine Cabinet After


So since this is a tiny space, it's hard to see a major difference, but I can tell you the bathroom is so much more functional now! It's hard enough to wake up and get ready for work each day. Now it's just a little bit easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment